Friday, December 16, 2011

Often times we neglect the things that we appreciate the most. They become so normative to us that we fail to understand how lucky we truly are to have them. The people in our life that have made us who we are: family, friends, coworkers and even the complete stranger. Our material goods that provide us comfort: the clothes we wear, the bed we sleep in, the plates we eat from, the cars we drive. But most importantly, the spaces that we inhabit - the places that shape reaction to environment: Our homes, our cities, the streets we walk on and the grass we touch. These are just a few things that become normal to us; they're an expected normality until we experience life without them. 

There are people that stay in their comfort zone and experience life in normality and routine and there are those that push their limits and find joy by stepping out of their comfort zone. I'm an experience seeker, always looking for new ways to cross blurry lines of what i believe to be physically and mentally capable of. Crossing those lines opens vision to things that go unseen in routine. It makes me appreciate the people in my life, the materials that i possess and the spaces that i inhabit. 

My need for new experiences has brought me to quit my corporate job and find my way over to Nepal. I've seen how comfortable people get in their material lifestyles, I've watched money get tossed around with no weight and I've experienced a lifestyle in which everything I wanted was immediately available. That's Manhattan for you. I'm not claiming that this lifestyle is wrong but sometimes it can be corrupt; corrupt to the mind, the body and the soul. I've made this lifestyle for myself because i thought it was what i wanted but when i got here i realized that these things don't bring satisfaction.. they don't give me the sense of fulfillment that I've been seeking. All they've done is made me realize how fake things can be and how easy it is to mask morals with perceived success. I'm tired of pretending that I'm happy here, I need to cross a new boundary.

I want to experience another side of life - one with minimal material value. A side that doesn't require you to put yourself first and be willing to throw anyone under the bus in order to achieve success. A side where people are concerned about others more than themselves. I'm incredibly grateful for what I've been given in my life, and it's necessary that i not only give back but truly understand what it's like to not have the luxuries of what we see as normality. 

I'm ready to use my degree in architecture for something more than profit.I'm ready to really make an impact in this world. It's amazing what the built environment provides: A shelter from the rain, a warm place in winter, a barrier from the wind and a place to shade yourself from the summer sun. A playground for children to enjoy themselves, a school where they can learn and a home where they can be comfortable. These are the things that we appreciate the most, but we neglect most often. These are the things that matter most and these are the things that i want to provide to the world. 

Cheers to comprehending oversight. 

1 comment:

  1. Ian this is amazing so excited for you!! Keep posting these insightful blogs I will definitely be following along.

    ReplyDelete