Saturday, March 31, 2012

Loss in the Community



Saturday – Nepal’s one day weekend, and our day to explore. This particular Saturday I decided to take the Champa Devi hiking route, located just behind the foundation which takes you directly up to the peaks of the mountain range that continuously cast’s its shadow on the village. Another volunteer here, Silea, asked if she could join and of course I welcomed the presence. It’s always better to have someone along.
The walk up is a warn in trail of hard packed earth and rocks, traveled for centuries by the locals to reach their century old homes and occasionally to celebrate the new year on top of the mountain. We pass through several villages, consistently being turned around by the, “ello! What is yer name?” of the small children who are just now learning English is school. We walk through a field, where an energetic man recognizes my face and flails his arms in the air to say hello. This man, full of life, was one of the bamboo experts who we had recently worked with to construct a bus shelter that we’re currently building. After we exchange hellos, we continue our trek up the mountain. There reaches a point when the earthen trail turns to a shamble of broken rocks laid out to form stairs. At the peak, there’s a new construction of paved stones that pave a smooth path, making for an easy stroll amongst a beautiful setting. Silea and I found a nice flat grassy area and sat down to rest.

After an hour or so of chatting, we decided it was time to go down. There were heavy, ominous clouds moving in and a bone chilling wind that gracefully pushed the tops of trees and caused the leafs to ruffle. Descending the stairway to heaven that brought us to the top we stopped occasionally to rest our legs and have a drink of water. 3 hours later, we found ourselves back in the villages with kids screaming “ello!” once again. Passing by the same field which we found our energetic bamboo man earlier, we noticed a gathering at the house just below the field. Walking through the villagers, many tried to communicate with us asking if we were part of the foundation just a 20 minute walk down the hill. It seemed they wanted us to stay for a bit, have a cup of tea maybe. How wrong we were.

I found the comfort in recognizing our bamboo man, with a pile of smoked cigarettes in front of him. He was sitting on his porch, cross legged staring into space. As I greeted him, something didn’t seem right. He wasn’t enthusiastic; he wasn’t flailing his limbs in joy to see us like he always had. He looked up, found my eyes and said, “my father… dead.” I gazed slightly to the right, to find the body of a frail man wrapped in a sheet, laying on his back only a few feet from his son. Words cannot express the sorrow that I wanted to, because words mean nothing when you can’t speak another’s language. I gestured with my heart, I let my body speak for my mind’s mourning.

This is my first direct experience with death. I’ve never seen life change so fast. One minute, a charismatic young man; another minute, a torn and cheerless individual struggling to cope with reality. After the event, continuing our walk down the hill I couldn’t help but try and understand what had happened. I, also, was struggling to cope with reality. It forced me to realize how fragile life can be, how anything can change so vastly at any given moment. It made me think of my family, my friends, how any one of them could find themselves in this situation. Most importantly, it made me realize how special life really is. How graced we are to exist and how wonderful it is that we have this time to live our lives in meaningful ways. Death, I’ve found, is not merely a time of sorrow but rather, a celebration of life.

My heart tonight rests solely with this man and his family, his friends and his community; for I am part of this community now and a loss is felt in every member’s heart. My thoughts seek to find his spirit and to wish him an enduring sense of happiness wherever he may come to rest.

Cheers to this man, whom I’ve never met but will forever remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment